Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Keep It Simple Stupid

I remember back in the early days when I was a copier rep there were only a few places to gather professional advice. There was my sales manager and my fellow reps and that was about the extent of it.

Since then the online/social networking world has exploded with seemingly a LinkedIn or discussion group for every topic known to mankind. But how do you know who to listen to?

In the old days you knew to look at the sales board every month and see who knew what they were talking about. But in the online world it's difficult to know if someone really knows what they're talking about or if they're just spouting their own opinion without any real success backing up their statements.

Then there comes the question of credibility. Unfortunately, there are many people today who will take credit for accomplishments that they either had little or no influence in creating.

When you look at various online discussions about MPS most of the conversations end up in some cerebral, ethereal definitions or tell others what is wrong with what they are doing (guilty as charged).

At the same time I see a large number of companies looking to adopt MPS as a strategy moving forward, yet struggling to effectively implement this strategy. So what could be the problem? Is MPS really that difficult?

It is if you make it that way!

Most companies looking to adopt an MPS strategy have had some relative success at their existing business. The problem I see with MPS strategy is that it is taught as a "change in thinking" of how business is run. So previously successful companies are now told "You're going to be out of business in 5 years" or "You need to change what you're doing". Using this fear to motivate change business leaders look to make dramatic shifts in an otherwise successful business.

Fear is not a good basis for business decisions.

Let me suggest this: While MPS does require a change in thinking, perhaps it is not as dramatic a change as some suggest. Instead, understand the principles of MPS and learn to integrate it into an existing, successful business.

Don't stop doing what it is that got you to where you are. Simply adjust the course to capitalize on the current opportunity.

Honestly, I'm not 100% convinced that MPS will become the world-beating force that it is sometimes portrayed as. I do, however, believe that it is a great opportunity to provide value to clients.

So the moral of the story...KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

Don't abandon your previous successes because some consultant, industry expert, or a bunch of people in a discussion group told you to.

Do it with a plan. And do it because you believe it will add value to what you already provide.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shawn,

    Nice to stumble across this blog, especially since it's about a topic of which I've just become aware. Shame it seems to have become defunct...!

    I wonder, do you follow any of the new releases by the big printing brands? They often boast of their latest MPS success. There's a lot of blogging potential in there - I mean, who do you know who to choose? etc.

    Yours,

    Inks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inks -

    First, yes I've slacked off for a while on the blog. My tendency to rant left me for a time.

    Second, I do keep up with the releases of MPS success stories. Who to choose is an interesting question and something I've been meaning to post about.

    The short answer is it depends on what the client is looking for. Most OEM's are simply using MPS as a marketing strategy to push hardware just like they always have.

    This doesn't really capture the true thought behind MPS.

    Keep an eye on the blog for a new post in the next few days on this one.

    Thanks for reading!

    ser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ser,

    How interesting! I read recently that OEMs are using MPS to bolster flagging hardware revenues, but (naively) it hadn't occurred to me that they'd aspire to boost sales through MPS.

    Like I say, I've only recently become aware of the subject.

    Yes, I look forward to the post. Honestly, I find anything to do with insiduous marketing practices to be fascinating.

    Inks

    ReplyDelete